It’s my birthday, and I have to work tonight–last class/final…and I was going to go to yoga, but decided to paint this farmer’s market bouquet instead. I used a pink cloth to cover the porch railing. I’m really going for the feel of the sunlight…If you like it, for my birthday, please like my FB page: Carol Steinberg Studio. Thanks!
We were sitting on the porch eating our egg foo young brunch…and it was just beautiful…the profusion of weird flora in this neighborhood is mind boggling. What was even more so was the appearance of at least six jacaranda trees…that I have never seen before! And Bert hadn’t seen them either and he’s been living here for four years. It really made me yearn to paint some sliver of it all…so I did. I’ve painted this house across the way a dozen times…the sad thing is at one time I almost became the owner of it…and now that seems so far away…Oh well, it’s still great to look at and paint. I started with a green toned panel, which I felt I was fighting a bit…but I like it and I hope you do too.
Maybe I should’ve tried this at a smaller size. I thought the red Gerbers against the yellow would just be an easy slam dunk–it wasn’t. The light went fast, and I found myself inventing stuff after I photographed it…to make it work better…It just seemed too big to fit on a small panel, but I wish I had time to do little ones every day…I did do a painting on Monday…and found out today that it is sold–Yay! I will post it with permission soon.
This was a last minute choice–but I really like how it came out–the harmony and the sunlight.
Here’s one from the vault. I’m going to give away an 8 x 10 print of this to one person who signs up for my newsletter and/or likes my Facebook fan page: Carol Steinberg Studio to be chosen randomly at the end of May. Your odds are very good I would guess. I will contact the winner for your address. (The print is a little blown out, but hey, it’s free!)
I was charmed by a photo someone I recently met on FB shared and intrigued by its possibilities as a painting so I asked for permission to use it and she said okay. What I realized when I started to work with it is that all the light areas were pretty blown out–meaning no color, just white…this doesn’t really read as light in a painting so I was forced to bring in my own interpretation which is probably a good thing. I think there’s a bit of Bay Area Figurative going on here…at least I hope so…maybe having been there recently, David Park’s ghost haunted my dreams….
I caught this woman at the market. I liked her hat, the flowers, the citrus stand…but what it’s ultimately about is the contrast of the guy in sun vs. the woman just getting a touch of it on her hat. It’s challenging to make the bright colors seem like they are in shadow. Here’s my process if you’re interested:
First, I used sky blue acrylic to tone the board. Then I drew in the basic composition with ochre.
Here’s where the tone really helps–I like it already…and it’s hard to keep going with it without losing the freshness.
This was close to finished, but I tweaked a number of small things…see if you can tell…
This was another attempt at the “Purple Bouquet” Dianthus…only this time I chose to use acrylics, a larger board, place them outside and paint them during the day. I even made a collage of both images and would like to know: Which do you prefer?
I painted this on the evening of May 2, and may change the date of this post later. My computer went into a coma over the weekend…and it’s just back in my control as of today. I will post another painting that is related tomorrow and have more to say then. For now, this was done at night, on a whim, with oils. Bert bought these at the farmer’s market. I would have chosen something else, because this color is almost impossible to paint. They were $4 and they are still perky over a week later. I really did not think I would even attempt them, but I guess I was wrong…When I changed the vase they were in and cut them down they just looked so amazing on the dining room table after a day of cleaning the apartment…the cool against the warm table in the light. We spent about an hour trying to figure out what type of flower they were. I got a download of the name “Dianthus” after a while and they have sub species, this one being, believe it or not, “Purple Bouquet”( Dianthus)! So I could’ve just gone with that as my original idea for the title and been done with it!