This is the second painting from the 3 day workshop I went to a couple weekends ago. Again, I used brushes, which I haven’t done in quite a while. Next post will show one with just knife and one with just brush….and I’m curious to know what y’all think.
This was based on a request by a customer at one of my galleries who wanted the piece in a different format. I wouldn’t necessarily usually do this, but it seemed like a fun enough challenge. I used my other piece and the photo I took that day and I’m pleased with the result. Haven’t heard yet if it’s a sale, so for now, it’s still available.
This is actually from the vault since we did not get to paint today…it was raining outside and so we had to change venues…and there was a long discussion and demo. I will do one tomorrow! Meanwhile, this really was plein air….
Maybe I should’ve tried this at a smaller size. I thought the red Gerbers against the yellow would just be an easy slam dunk–it wasn’t. The light went fast, and I found myself inventing stuff after I photographed it…to make it work better…It just seemed too big to fit on a small panel, but I wish I had time to do little ones every day…I did do a painting on Monday…and found out today that it is sold–Yay! I will post it with permission soon.
This was another attempt at the “Purple Bouquet” Dianthus…only this time I chose to use acrylics, a larger board, place them outside and paint them during the day. I even made a collage of both images and would like to know: Which do you prefer?
Changed the background for this one, and put some of the flowers that were further along on the table…The darker background makes the flowers appear more luminescent…a different feeling than the 3 before. (I was doing a standing meditation this morning, got warm and threw my jacket on the floor…later to discover that the painting was right there, still wet! Luckily, paint comes off if you get it soon enough…and the jacket was from Goodwill…still I kind of like it. Maybe I need to figure out a better drying strategy? Or remember there are wet paintings all over my living room floor?)
Second day, second bouquet!
I really crashed hard off that 40 days…but I’m going to try to be more consistent about my painting for as long as I can with the financial issues I have hanging over my head…One thing motivating me: a demo for an art association in 10 days. Another thing, I am going to a painting workshop in 13 days…so all in all, I need to be up to snuff (whatever that means). We wound up at the Santa Monica farmer’s market…we used to go every week and then the winter hit and it’s been months of not wanting to brave the Arctic temps of Santa Monica…they had some great deals on flowers, Ranunculi in particular–3 beautiful bunches for $12. So when I got home, I set it up…some of them were already drooping…guess you get what you pay for. The next day I painted this. I often listen to talk internet while painting but I did listen to some music and found myself having some deep thoughts about my life that I suppose I often try to avoid by avoiding painting, etc…There’s a blog challenge starting today so there’s another motivation. Honestly, I am highly motivated to paint at this point, but I need $ too for Uncle Sam, etc.
I set this up without lighting it (atypical) since the day was gray and the lighting seemed like it would stay stable. It gives it a soft look and I like the harmony of the dusty pink, orange and green. The baby artichokes were from the market too. I got them because I thought their complexity would work well with the flowers. The similar shapes enhance an abstact eye movement. I went back to a bigger size…I just cannot get myself to paint flowers on a 6 x 6!